Patient & Visitor Guide
Patient Rights and Responsibilities
At Aspire Hospital, we believe that quality involves the totality of a patient’s experience, from the first phone call to the last appointment. We strive daily to ensure that, under all circumstances, we have done our part to make it the best possible experience for our patients. No person shall be denied access to available and medically indicated treatment or accommodations on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, culture, language, creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression. Each patient (or medical decision-maker where applicable) has the following rights and responsibilities:
Proper patient care depends on the acceptance of certain responsibilities. The patient or the medical decision-maker has the responsibility to:
- Provide accurate and complete information about his/her health and report changes in his/her condition or perceived risks in care.
- Ask questions when he/she does not understand what he/she has been told about care or what he/she is expected to do.
- Follow the prescribed treatment plan and report to the physician any side effects. If the patient refuses treatment or fails to follow the directions of his/her physician or proper hospital personnel, he/she will be responsible for his/her actions.
- Assure that the financial obligations of his/her healthcare are fulfilled.
- Follow Hospital Rules and Regulations and respect the rights of others.
Rights to Information
Each patient or medical decision-maker has the right to receive information in a manner and/or language he/she can understand about:
- Have access to patient rights information.
- Name and specialty of all physicians participating in the case.
- Nature and extent of the medical problem, the planned course of treatment and outcomes.
- Details necessary to give informed consent before a procedure or treatment, including options for effective management of pain.
- Hospital rules and regulations as they apply to patients and parents.
- How to resolve complaints concerning the quality of care or service.
Rights Related To Care
While being treated, each patient or medical decision-maker has the right to:
- Receive appropriate assessment and effective management of pain pertinent to his/her medical condition.
- Participate in care in an informed manner and make decisions about healthcare through discussion with his/her physician.
- Refuse treatment to the extent permitted by law and be informed of the medical consequences of this action.
- Safeguard his/her right to personal privacy.
- Maintain confidentiality of personal health information.
- Receive care in a safe environment, to the extent the hospital can control that environment.
- Access to protective services.
- Expect that the hospital will respond to a request for services in a reasonable manner.
- Receive considerate care that respects the patient’s personal values and beliefs.
- Be kept free of restraints, unless medically necessary.
- Not restrict visitation privileges on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.
- Visitation may be limited due to clinically necessary or reasonable restriction due to clinical status.
- Examine and receive an explanation of the hospital bill, regardless of payment source.
- Expect reasonable continuity of care and be informed of continuing healthcare requirements following discharge.
Rights of Recourse
Each patient or medical decision-maker has the right to:
- Participate in discussion of ethical issues relating to care.
- Receive information on how to resolve complaints about quality of care or service through the following Aspire Hospital’s process:
- Speak with your nurse, who will attempt to resolve the issue to your satisfaction.
- If the complaint cannot be resolved promptly, our Patient Advocate Officer can be contacted at 936-647-3491. The Patient Advocate Officer will make contact to explore further if satisfaction can be achieved. Know that presentation of a complaint or grievance will not compromise current care or future access to care.
- If a complaint cannot be resolved to your satisfaction, you have the right to file a formal, written grievance with the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS). Texas Department of State Health Services 1100 W. 49th St. Austin TX, 78756-3199 800-973-0022 800-735-2989 (TDD)
- You also may contact the Joint Commission’s Office of Quality Monitoring to report any concerns about a Joint Commission-accredited health care organization by either calling 1-800-994-6610 or e-mailing email@example.com
- Medicare patients have the right to contact the Quality Improvement Organization (QIO) in the state of Texas: TMF Health Quality Institute Review and Compliance Bridgepoint I, Suite 300 5918 West Courtyard Dr. Austin, TX 78730-5036 1-800-725-8315 or 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227)
Quality of Care
We appreciate that Aspire Hospital patients seek excellence in care, medical knowledge, experience and technology which is why we routinely perform comprehensive evaluations on all aspects of a patient’s experience. Quality can be measured in:
- Compliance with evidence-based processes known to enhance care;
- Volume of patients with complex diagnoses and procedures successfully treated;
- The safety record of the institution;
Quality and service can also be measured in other ways, such as:
- The amount of time spent with each patient;
- Making sure each patient is treated with respect, kindness, compassion and dignity by every member of the Aspire team;
- Making sure appointments are on time;
- Ensuring all test results and other patient information are available to every doctor whenever they are needed;
Aspire Hospital takes pride in the quality health care and services that we provide at each of the locations in the Aspire Hospital System that are conveniently located throughout Montgomery and Walker County. If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact us today.
Who We Are
Aspire Hospital is a physician-owned hospital providing outstanding medical services to residents of our community by utilizing proven, state of the art technology, combined with compassionate care.